We had the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team trainer devise this exclusive kick-ass routine.
This routine was designed by Dawn Scott, fitness and performance coach for the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team. You can do it alone twice a week to get stronger and faster, but to see results sooner (and to double the fun), do it as part of a team.
1. TURKISH GET-UP Lie faceup, left arm and leg extended at 45-degree angles, right knee bent, right arm extended to sky. Look at right hand as you raise right shoulder off ground, propping yourself up on left elbow, then left hand. Lift butt as high as you can and tuck left leg, planting knee directly below hip on ground. Lift left hand off ground, gaze forward and push off right foot to stand. Reverse move for 1 rep. Do 3 sets of 5 reps per side.
2. SINGLE-LEG RUSSIAN DEAD LIFT Stand on left foot, right foot slightly lifted behind you, holding a soccer ball with both hands in front of thighs. Bending at waist and hips, lower ball toward toes while extending right leg behind you for balance. When shoulders, hips and right ankle are parallel to ground, return to start. Do 3 sets of 8 reps per side.
3. OVERHEAD WALL THROW Stand arm’s length from a wall, feet hip-width apart. Holding a soccer ball with both hands overhead, elbows bent and pointed upward, toss the ball quickly against the wall and catch it. Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
4. ON-THE-BALL PUSH-UP Start in a high plank with both hands on a soccer ball. Keeping shoulders, hips and ankles aligned, do 3 sets of 8 push-ups. (For an easier option, lower knees to ground.)
5. SIDE-PLANK LEG LIFT Start in a side plank, left forearm on ground and perpendicular to body, right arm extended toward sky, hips and feet stacked. Keeping abs engaged and spine long, lift right leg toward sky, foot flexed. Return to start. Holding the plank, repeat for 30 seconds for 1 set. Do 3 sets per side.
6. LATERAL SKI JUMP Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, arms bent 90 degrees at sides. Squat, pressing through balls of feet, and explode upward, jumping about 2 feet to left. Reverse move to return to start for 1 rep. Do 3 sets of 6 reps.
7. SIDE LUNGE Stand with feet hip-width apart, abs engaged, hands clasped in prayer position in front of chest. With right foot planted and right leg straight, step left leg out to the side, keeping feet parallel. Shift weight to left foot, bending at knee and sinking back into hips until left knee is directly above toes. As you exhale, push off with left foot to return to start. Do 3 sets of 6 on each side.
8. ANKLE JUMP Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands on hips. Jump as high as you can, pushing off with balls of feet and keeping knees slightly bent. Repeat for 10 seconds, never allowing heels to touch ground, for 1 set. Do 3 sets.
9. CONE DRILL Place 6 cones (or other markers) each 1 step apart. With arms bent at 90 degrees and knees high, sprint over cones, placing each foot, one after the other, between each cone. After last cone, sprint 10 yards. Walk back to start. Repeat 4 times for 1 set. Do 3 sets, resting 1 minute between each.
10. TOE TAP Stand 6 inches behind a soccer ball. Keeping ball stationary, alternate tapping toes on top of it, hopping around the ball in a circle as you go. Aim for 8 taps per circle for 1 set. Do 3 sets.
11. BALL VOLLEY Stand on left leg, holding a soccer ball, right knee bent with foot in front of you. Drop ball and kick it up with right foot, catching ball before it touches ground. Do 10 volleys for 1 set, challenging yourself to complete 2 or more kicks per volley. Do 3 sets on each side.